3/19/11

DIY: Magnets

I am a do-er. I like to “do”.


Do you know people like that? Maybe you know one real well, maybe it's you.

I learned it well from my dad’s endless pursuit of entrepreneurship ideas and my mom’s favorite hobbies of cooking, gardening, reading, decorating, and cleaning, and more cleaning. In my house we were always “doing” even if that meant waking up way before the sun came up. Inherently, I would rather do something then be still. (Now don’t get me wrong, occasionally I force myself to sit and be content.)

At times, the active part of me is a good thing. It propels me to try something new, finish a project (which I am oh so bad at!), or just get something done off of my to-do list. And sometimes, it leaves me bored when I lack inspiration or motivation to do anything. I often find myself resorting to a craft or upcycle of some sort when I have the energy. (I think this is when The Mr. finds me the craziest.) I don’t know where I get my ideas from, they are usually not my own. But I sure am thankful for them!

One summer night I must have been bored out of my mind or super inspired by something I saw at an antique store in Minneapolis. I decided to make my own magnets. All I needed were a few tools and some lovely trinkets. 


Here’s my material list:

  • ·        button magnets
  • ·        hot glue gun
  • ·        clip-on earings
  • ·        buttons
  • ·        pliers

Here's what seemed to entertain me on one boring night...


 
Laying it all out to see what I had. The pliers were used to take off the backs of the buttons and earrings.

 Clip-on earrings make the cutest magnets! You might need to give your grandma a call.

 magnet + hot glue+ buttons= a happy little sandwich

I was bold and used three buttons for the magnet. Oh yeah!

Wa-la! Don't they dazzle the lovely photos our friends have sent us?!

Maybe you’re bored out of your mind and need a fun quick project. Grab your supplies and create your own little beauties.

Me wishing you happiness instead of boredom!

3 comments:

Ashlynn and Aaron Silva said...

:) great idea. Im glad your inspired by minnepolis. And im honored to be "highlighted" in your blog.

Susan Link said...

What a cool idea. I'm going to check out my jewelry box since I'm a grandma. You can call ME if you want!!

Felecia Marie said...

I love this, thanks for sharing!

I also have a craft blog. If you want to check it out it's: http://freespiritcrafts.blogspot.com/

You have a new follower :)