2/29/12

Furniture Sets



Due to my increased amount of reading and redefining my own style in the last year or two, I've come to notice something quite common. 


Sets of furniture. Bedroom sets. Living room sets. Dining room sets. 


I know these are the easiest for decorating and often most affordable choices but they don't have much character. More importantly, no YOU! 


I once read a design rule that you shouldn't have three pieces of the same brown in any room (enter furniture sets). Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, and Value City Furniture are trying to sell furniture, not make a house a home. Next time you see a set of furniture, look for a corresponding piece that is not in the set (even if it's for pretend) to put a room together. Train your eye.




The bedrooms above incorporate different textures, colors, and types of woods.Think outside the box. 

Cookie cutter, steer clear.

3 comments:

Shaina Reynolds said...

I am not confident in doing this at all! I may think it looks good but who knows if it really does! I'm one of those people who wants to trust my eye but I never really know so I just stick with the sets! Oops. This is why I take a friend clothes shopping with me! Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement!

homeawaits said...

Thanks for sharing.It doesn't hurt to look at a picture and copy it (doesn't have to be exactly the same pieces) but it may be a great place to begin. I bet you "got it" more than you think!

You may have inspired a soon to be post... :)

Anonymous said...

buy ativan death from ativan overdose - ativan withdrawal short term use